Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Making Bee Skeps


Yesterday, my friend Chris and I got together and made bee skeps. We have been talking about making them for months. This is a picture of mine. We made them in Chris's garage,hopefully they have dried enough to bring it home today.
We used cement with no gravel,straw,peat moss and vermiculite. 1 part Portland cement(or cement with no gravel) 1½ parts peat 1½ parts vermiculite straw few handfuls cut up
Mixed it all up by hand,which took ALOT of muscle.
Chris used the cone and I used a base from a bird bath. We covered them with plastic and I sprayed with canola oil.
This is Chris's. This is the first time we've made bee skeps. We have made hypertufia planters before and they have stayed together. Now I want to make more!! Until next time.... Julie

10 comments:

  1. way too cool i want to do some know too, thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make some, too! Can you give us the "recipe?" They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,Wow,love the bee skep,did a great job. I always wanted one for my garden,maybe will try to make one also. Thanks for sharing,Warm Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, Julie!
    I've been wanting to try those, too. Last fall I even got some straw from a friend (I'm city-folk...lol!) but have not yet done it. Maybe you've inspired me :)
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love them. I have been looking for a straw on since my old one rotted. this looks great!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting, is this garden art, or will bees really go in and build a hive?

    ReplyDelete